The employer has to arrange a reinstatement medical examination with the occupational physician when worker has stopped to work at least for 30 days due to occupational accidents or illness and whatever the length of the leave sick for occupational diseases. The employee shall undergo to this required check-up to know if he can return to work .
French labor code defines the reinstatement visits :
The employer has to contact the Occupational health service to book an appointment for this medical visit.
The medical examination of resumption of work has to take place in 8 days which follow the work’s resumption.
This medical examination estimates the capacity or not of the employee to take back his old employment, and if necessary, adaptation of the working conditions.
This medical examination takes place within one week and ends the suspension of the contract of employment.
- After a sick leave when the employee has stopped to work at least for 30 days
- After a period of maternity leave
- After an occupational accident : when worker has stopped to work at least for 30 days
- after an occupational disease : whatever the length of the sick leave.
This medical examination has to take place within the 8 days following the resumption of the work.
After the medical examination, the occupational health physician says if the employee is fit or unfit to return to work.
If the employee is cured, or strengthened without after effect, he takes back his usual workstation.
In other cases the occupational health doctor proposes a Workstation layout to the employer. If a workstation layout is not possible, the employee will be dismissed for medical unfitness.
The employer or the employee may contest the opinion delivered by the occupational physician : he has the right to an administrative appeal with the labour inspector.
You can read also the following posts :
- Occupational health services
- Simple medical surveillance
- Strengthened medical supervision in case of exposure to specific occupational hazards
- Strengthened medical supervision in case of particular personal situations
- Pre-recruitment medical examination
- Reinstatement visit
- Optional medical examinations